[Ecls-list] ASDF scan possible ?

Dean O'Connor dean.oconnor at ite.com.au
Tue May 8 10:32:32 UTC 2007

Well *sigh* still ain't there yet ...

The "latest" ASDF-INSTALL from
http://common-lisp.net/project/asdf-install/#downloads requires further
patching for ECL (well at least for win32 as far as I can see).

In port.lisp just added a definition of function
"return-output-from-program".
(I just copied the :clisp + :win32  function, and used "ext:system" call).

If I ever get this fully working, I will send them my proposed additions
for ECL - feel free to beat me to it ;)

Seems to get past that point. I tried specifying a directory and a
tar.gz to load from.
Unfortunately, even after that it just seems to hang.

FYI. I came across this small article about ASDF-INSTALL for Windows:
    http://www.redmountainsw.com/wordpress/archives/asdf-install-clisp
which references a thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_thread/thread/f60096a7f62f275a/ac89b58a890a2ee2

I can attest that this has been the biggest pain in the butt I have
experienced in a long while.
Being dependent on cygwin is understandable but the rest is rather
frustrating.

If I can get some spare time, I'll attempt to debug why ECL/DEFSYSTEM
failing to load the cl-enumerations extension, so I could avoid this
ASDF-INSTALL crud altogether.
Still I have this feeling that even if I get asdf-install working, its
going to attempt to call defsystem anyway and still fail for ECL. Or am
I wrong ?

I'd certainly like to hear from any other Windows users successfully
using DEFSYSTEM to load systems (like cl-enumerations) in ECL, or up
with a clean ASDF-INSTALL setup.

Cheers
deano