[Ecls-list] ASDF scan possible ?

Dean O'Connor dean.oconnor at ite.com.au
Fri May 4 08:32:32 UTC 2007

in the meantime (to my previous DEFSYSTEM issue), I have been trying the
alternate method using ASDF as suggested by the INSTALLATION file
enumerations extension package:

"If your CL implementation is ASDF-INSTALL aware, you should also be
able to just say

        (asdf-install:install "enumerations")

provided that the package is unpacked in a directory ASDF-INSTALL
knows about."

So I went and got ASDF-INSTALL extension and put it under my extension area
and issued these commands:

CL-USER> (require 'asdf)
("ASDF")

CL-USER> (push #P"c:/ecl/extensions/" asdf:*central-registry*)
(#P"c:/ecl/extensions/" *DEFAULT-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS*)

CL-USER> (push #P"c:/ecl/extensions/asdf-install/asdf-install/"
asdf:*central-registry*)
(#P"c:/ecl/extensions/asdf-install/asdf-install/" #P"c:/ecl/extensions/"
 *DEFAULT-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS*)

CL-USER> (asdf:operate 'asdf:compile-op :asdf-install)
[snip rest of compile]

CL-USER> (require 'asdf-install)
;;; ASDF-Install version 0.6.7

CL-USER> (asdf-install:install 'enumerations)
Install where?
1) System-wide install:
   System in /usr/local/asdf-install/site-systems/
   Files in /usr/local/asdf-install/site/
2) Personal installation:
   System in C:/.asdf-install-dir/systems/
   Files in C:/.asdf-install-dir/site/
0) Abort installation.
 --> 1

;;; Warning: Cannot find tar command "C:\\PROGRA~1\\Cygwin\\bin\\bash.exe".
; Evaluation aborted

CL-USER> (setf asdf-install::*cygwin-bash-program*
"C:\\cygwin\\bin\\bash.exe")
"C:\\cygwin\\bin\\bash.exe"

CL-USER> (asdf-install:install 'enumerations)
Install where?
1) System-wide install:
   System in /usr/local/asdf-install/site-systems/
   Files in /usr/local/asdf-install/site/
2) Personal installation:
   System in C:/.asdf-install-dir/systems/
   Files in C:/.asdf-install-dir/site/
0) Abort installation.
 --> 1

The function ASDF-INSTALL::RETURN-OUTPUT-FROM-PROGRAM is undefined.
   [Condition of type UNDEFINED-FUNCTION]

**************

That's kinda where I gave up.

It seems way too much effort to use that tool.
Doesn't seem to consider ASDF registry settings, just offers unix style
paths.

I guess I will just have to manually convert that system file into a asd
file or wait for a defsystem fix.

I also noticed that ASDF doesn't seem to search sub-dir's for .asd files
as defsystem does for .system files.

I found a link to patches for CormanLisp, where they patched ASDF for
Windows to perform this search.
http://weitz.de/corman-asdf/
(search for "scan")

I figure if ECL is aiming at supporting Windows, this would be a very
nice standard feature to include.
Otherwise you have to specify the path of every single extension you
have, instead of just the root to all of them.
Forgive me, if there is an option there already.

Sorry to be a pain, but I am really trying to get a neat setup for a
client, that doesn't require endless hacking.

Cheers
deano