[Ecls-list] error handling

Dean O'Connor dean.oconnor at ite.com.au
Wed Jun 20 13:01:00 UTC 2007

I am wondering if there is any decent way to catch syntax errors. I
brought this up back in Nov 2005, and have attached the last archive
email from Juanjo.

Are there any other methods available to help give more information to
pin point errors ???

For example, this is a simplified example of a pile of setq's where one
value arg is forgotten.
I get no helpful info about which statement caused the issue.

I normally turn on printing when I load to visually see where the reader
has issue
eg. (load "test" :print t)
But in cases like this, when this is in a function, it doesn't print any
of the function.
So I have to manually read the entire function for syntax errors.

Anyone got any ideas, or is this just something to live with?

 > (setf cl:*macroexpand-hook*
      #'(ext:lambda-block myexpander (function form env)
                          (funcall function form env)))
#<bytecompiled-function Myexpander>
 > (progn (setq a nil) (setq b) (setq c nil))
Improper list handled to the compiler.
Broken at EVAL.No restarts available.
Broken at ERROR.
 >> :b