[Ecls-list] GMP issues

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jan 27 14:05:29 UTC 2007

Hi

today I think I have fixed the GMP library shipped with ECL.

Somehow the maintainer of GMP does not care any more for the OS X
ports and there have been some important issues that have been failed
to be addressed. One of them is that GMP cannot be linked into a DLL
because it tries to store data on the code sections. I have removed
the offending assembly files, which are not needed by ECL as far as I
know.

The other issue is that GMP is not compiled with all optimizations it
should. In particular a compiler flag "-fast", has been removed from
GMP. I do not know yet where to place it.

Regarding the Windows port of GMP, the makefile under ecl/msvc/gmp is
not yet up to date. I have tried to retreive the files from home (I am
now abroad) without success. I expect to finish this next weekend.
This time for sure.

All in all, while upgrading to Boehm-Weiser 6.8 was required for
memory leak issues,  the move to GMP 4.2.1 was a too fast and probably
unwise choice. If anybody experiences further problems that cannot be
easily solved, I will revert to the previous version.

Dpto. de Fisica Teorica I, Fac. de CC Fisicas, Universidad Complutense,
http://teorica.fis.ucm.es/~jjgarcia/