[Ecls-list] "broken at EVAL"?, and init.lsp

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 11 09:58:44 UTC 2007

2007/1/11, Clayton Morrison <clayton at isi.edu>:
> 2007/1/10, Clayton Morrison <clayton at isi.edu>:
> (1) The startup message for ecl ends with "Broken in EVAL" (I see in the
> mail list archive that others get this too).  What does this mean?
>
> This would happen if during initalization one of the forms signals an
> error and somehow the debugger is launched. But this should not happen
> unless your initialization code messes with the environment.
> Just to be clear, I got this message when I had no init file being loaded.
> I do have an .eclrc now, and it appears to load fine, but the broken-at-eval
> message is still there.

Ok, that was all an error in the toplevel handler. The "Broken at
EVAL" message was completely harmless and due to this function not
being able to distinguish whether it was called from inside the
debugger or from the ECL initialization code. Now things work
properly:

JJGR:~/src/common-lisp.net/ecl/build jjgarcia$ ecl
ECL (Embeddable Common-Lisp) 0.9i
Copyright (C) 1984 Taiichi Yuasa and Masami Hagiya
Copyright (C) 1993 Giuseppe Attardi
Copyright (C) 2000 Juan J. Garcia-Ripoll
ECL is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see file 'Copyright' for details.
Type :h for Help.  Top level.
> (cos 'a)
In function COS, the value of argument is
which is not of expected type NUMBER
Broken at EVAL.Available restarts:
1. (USE-VALUE) Supply a new value of type NUMBER.
Broken at COS.
>> :q
Top level.

Dpto. de Fisica Teorica I, Fac. de CC Fisicas, Universidad Complutense,
http://teorica.fis.ucm.es/~jjgarcia/