[Ecls-list] Unable to build current CVS snapshot with MinGW

Michael Lazarev mike83 at mail.ru
Fri Feb 16 00:25:13 UTC 2007

Improvements Juanjo made several days ago didn't help me build ECL. I
can't do it with MinGW on Windows box now, although I perfectly did it
with 0.9i version..

First, I issue a "./configure --build=i686-pc-mingw32 --enable-threads=yes
--enable-unicode=yes" command. I state build type explicitly because I
have an AMD Sempron processor. Otherwise it is detected as x86-64, which
is wrong. During the configuration process, I get some strange GMP
messages:

checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc  -DPIC -E
configure: WARNING: gmp.h doesnt recognise compiler as ANSI, prototypes
and "con
st" will be unavailable
checking build system compiler gcc  -DPIC... yes
checking for build system preprocessor... gcc  -DPIC -E
<...>
checking whether gcc __attribute__ ((noreturn)) works... yes
checking for inline... inline
configure: WARNING: gmp.h doesnt recognise compiler "inline", inlines
will be un
available
checking for cos in -lm... yes
checking for working alloca.h... no
checking for alloca (via gmp-impl.h)... no
checking how to allocate temporary memory... malloc-reentrant
configure: WARNING: gmp.h doesnt recognise <stdio.h>, FILE prototypes
will be un
available
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking format of `double' floating point... IEEE little endian
<...>
configure: error: Oops, mp_limb_t doesn't seem to work
<...>
config.status: creating cmp/load.lsp
config.status: creating ../Makefile
config.status: WARNING:  ../Makefile.in seems to ignore the
--datarootdir settin
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating c/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: WARNING:  /c/Progs/ecls-build/ecl/src/doc/Makefile.in
seems to ig
nore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: creating doc/ecl.man
config.status: creating doc/ecl-config.man

Then, when I issue "make", I get

cd build; make
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/Progs/ecls-build/ecl/build'
cp /c/Progs/ecls-build/ecl/src/util/gdbinit .gdbinit
if (echo c gc gmp | grep gmp); then \
  cd gmp && make install && \
  cd .. && mv include/gmp.h ecl/ && rmdir include &&  \
  mv ./libgmp.a ./libeclgmp.a; \
fi
c gc gmp
make[2]: Entering directory `/c/Progs/ecls-build/ecl/build/gmp'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/Progs/ecls-build/ecl/build/gmp'
make[1]: *** [libeclgmp.a] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/Progs/ecls-build/ecl/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Indeed, gmp directory /c/Progs/ecls-build/ecl/build/gmp is empty.
I tried several hacks, even built gmp separately, got ecl.exe finally, and
it reported me a "Lisp initialization error".

Is there any way out? What did I do wrong? I certainly don't understand and
become to hate and fear the gnu build system.