[Ecls-list] Porting ECL to the Hurd

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 11 09:32:43 UTC 2007

2007/2/11, Pierre THIERRY <nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org>:
> Scribit Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll dies 11/02/2007 hora 00:20:
> > ECL uses _no_ global variables.
> That is rare... Was it for embeddability?

Keeping all "variables" in a single C structure is good for two
reasons: namespace and garbage collection. It ensures that all
routines know where the global variables are, and the programmer
ensures also that not too many variables are defined :-)

> > Perhaps it makes sense to define it _always_, because I do not like
> > configuration flags to populate the ECL headers.
>
> OK. I'll define it statically where PATH_MAX or MAXPATHLEN are defined,
> in cl_boot() otherwise.

No. I meant adding a new field to cl_core, and setting up a value in
cl_boot(). In case PATH_MAX is defined, just set cl_core.path_max to
that value, otherwise use a system call to guess it.

Dpto. de Fisica Teorica I, Fac. de CC Fisicas, Universidad Complutense,
http://teorica.fis.ucm.es/~jjgarcia/