[Ecls-list] Compiling on OpenBSD fails

Bruce O'Neel ecl at pckswarms.ch
Mon Feb 5 12:16:52 UTC 2007

Hi,
  Is this on a SPARC?  If not, the only problem is in the boehm gc.  There are two choices:

- Install boehm-gc from /usr/ports/devel/boehm-gc and then use --enable-boehm=system.
You'll probably have to do:

export CC="cc -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib"

before the configure.  This is an older version of the gc, but it seems to work.

- If you like patches, there is one here:

http://www.pckswarms.ch/PckSwarms/ecl-0.9i.openbsd40patch-20070111.tgz

This has the patches for the garbage collector and one small patch to clx which fixes a seemingly bizzare openbsd open display problem.  CLX wants to read the xauth file on its own, and, it seems that OpenBSD moved a field.  The clx patch only allows TCP/IP, so all you DECNet users will be unhappy. :-)

The gc patches are my forward ports of the OpenBSD ports patches for OpenBSD.  They seem ok, but, they might be horribly wrong in some bizzare way.

If you use OpenBSD sparc you need to make a patch to gmp as well, and, ecl's memory usage is wrongly accounted for, but, I'll bet this doesn't affect you.

cheers and good luck!

bruce