[Ecls-list] bug in ecl_file_position_set

Dustin Long dlong at stevens.edu
Fri Dec 28 05:18:42 UTC 2007

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2007 4:29 PM, Dustin Long <dlong at stevens.edu> wrote:
>
>> Basically I would play around in slime for a little bit
>> (asdf load a collection of about 10 source files, run 3 or 4 functions)
>> then quit, and get a crash. [...]
>> I would get heap corruption crashes much earlier, during
>> runtime, but again have not figured out what functions would cause them.
>>

> Really, heap corruption does worry me a lot more than the force_output
> thing. force_output just calls fflush() or does nothing. It is a
> completely harmless function and the reason why you had problems with
> slime is because it was being called on an input stream. So there must
> be something else going on with the windows port. Really, I have never
> seen ECL become unstable in other platforms -- at most it gets slower
> because of memory consumption, etc--.

Good news, there's no heap corruption, I was just being an idiot! I was
trying to test the force_output patch in isolation, and was running into
an issue with ffi, which is what my earlier patches were made to fix. My
mistake on that.

I'm still getting random crashes at shutdown, and am not even sure if it
relates to the force_output patch. I'm trying to debug it but it's
pretty nondeterministic. Will keep pressing forward.

Dustin