[Ecls-list] Kamen Lisp - ECL embedded in Firefox

Dustin Long dlong at stevens.edu
Thu Apr 5 21:25:58 UTC 2007

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> 2007/4/5, Dustin Long <dlong at stevens.edu>:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I wanted to announce a project I've been hacking on for a while. It's a
>> Firefox extension that allows Common Lisp to be used
>> instead of Javascript to script webpages. Naturally, it uses ECL as the
>> lisp environment.
>>

> :-O Wow. That's really something. I am not in a position right now to
> test your code, but that's the best application of ECL I know of :-)
> You talk about the instability of the Linux port. Is it a Mozilla or a
> ECL related thing? And I assume you use ECL from CVS don't you?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Juanjo

Yes, I'm using ECL straight from CVS. I'm almost positive that the
problem is in Mozilla, or how I'm using it. Mozilla uses two class
hierarchies for strings, Ascii and Unicode, and though I thought I was
converting between the two when necessary, something isn't behaving
properly, and its causing memory corruption more often on Linux. I still
have some experimenting to do.

Also, with the Fibonacci demo I linked to, sometimes there's excess
characters showing up at the end of the output. I'm relying upon the
manual's insistence that ecl_base_string->self is null terminated (this
is still correct, right?) but haven't done any testing yet for whether
this is always true. Again, either I'm somehow breaking this fact, or
turning them into JS_Strings incorrectly.

So I have a general idea of what's going wrong, but need some time off
from the project. There's a few other things I need to work on, but I'll
get around to fixing Kamen in good time.

Glad you like it!

Dustin