[Ecls-list] updating refererence pointers in UFFI

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Mon Sep 4 08:24:29 UTC 2006

As already answered, you can achieve that by allocating foreign objects
yourself in LISP and passing them as argument to your C function. For
instance, when allocating a foreign object of type :int in ECL, it would
be passed as int* to a C function.

However, it would be much easier if ECL could do it automatically. I'm
thinking about CLISP here, where you can tag FFI arguments as in, out
or in-out. All out/in-out arguments are returned as secondary values of
the FFI function. out-only arguments does not need to be specified as
input arguments. This might me complicated to implement, but this would
ease the work of the user.

For example, something like:

(ffi:def-function ("f1" f1)
  ((a :int) 		;; default to :in
   (b :int :out)
   (c :int :in-out))
  :returning :int)

(f1 1 2)
=> 1 maps to 'a', 2 maps to 'c'
=> returns 3 values: function result, b and c

What do you think?

Michael.