[Ecls-list] Important changes ahead

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 23 17:10:30 UTC 2006

2006/11/23, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net>:
> The result is a new lisp object EXT:DEVICE, which is used to actually
> implement files or windows sockets, and which is expected to have
> octed based I/O operations.

I forgot to add that one of the reasons for this design is to allow
for other I/O models, such as asynchronous I/O, and reading or writing
based on read/open instead of the heavier fread/fwrite, for instance.

Another advantage is that embedding ECL means now rewriting the device
part, and not the higher level lisp functions such as read-char,
read-sequence, etc. This means automatically reusing the code that
takes care of external formats, buffering, end of line conventions,
etc.