[Ecls-list] ecl_stream_to_handle bug? (Was: Latest changes)

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 1 18:06:08 UTC 2006

2006/11/1, Dave Roberts <dave at vyatta.com>:
> Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> > Well, the thing is that this routine does not know how to deal with
> > sockets and sllime does communicate via sockets with ECL.
>
> I'm not sure exactly how Slime does its thing, but sockets still have
> file handles, no? That is, at least under Unix-like systems, I would not
> expect this routine to return -1 unless the particular stream was closed.

SB-SOCKETS in ECL are implemented as CLOS objects. The routine you try
to use does not know about these objects. Indeed, this routine was not
at all expected to be exported. It is so level it was thought for
internal use in the core library. I made it public because I was asked
to do so. Now it does not fit your work, well, extend it! :-)

In your case you probably do not even need do it. Your function must
check first whether the input/output stream is a CLOS object and
return NIL in that case because isatty() does not make a sense on Gray
streams.