[Ecls-list] Re: translate-logical-pathname gives an ABSOLUTE for a RELATIVE !

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Tue May 23 09:41:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 17:03 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> Well, reading TRANSLATE-PATHNAME,  I see that my expectations were too
> high, this is mostly implementation dependant.
>
> (all tests on Linux x86):
>
> clisp 2.38:
>
>     (translate-pathname
>             "PACKAGES:COM;INFORMATIMAGO;COMMON-LISP;UTILITY.LISP.42"
>             #P"PACKAGES:COM;INFORMATIMAGO;**;*.*.*"
>             #P"**/*.*") ; clisp doesn't take versions, grrr!
>     --> #P"common-lisp/utility.lisp"
>
> ecl-9g:
>
>      (translate-pathname
>             "PACKAGES:COM;INFORMATIMAGO;COMMON-LISP;UTILITY.LISP.42"
>             #P"PACKAGES:COM;INFORMATIMAGO;**;*.*.*"
>             #P"**/*.*") ; ecl doesn't take versions, grrr!
>      --> #P"COMMON-LISP/UTILITY.LISP"
> I feel the most useful result on a unix-like file system, is that of clisp.

I have been pondering an incompatible change in ecl so as to change the
case of translated pathnames using :CASE :COMMON. That means uppercased
pathnames get translated to the local convention of the filesystem,
lowercased pathnames get translated to the opposite and mixed case
pathnames are left untouched.

That would break code in ECL and code which assumes that logical
pathnames with lower case components are to be preserved as such.

Just a thought. I appreciate feedback.