[Ecls-list] Latest updates

Gregory Martin Pfeil sellout42 at mac.com
Wed May 10 07:55:09 UTC 2006

On 10 May 2006, at 1:40, Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 16:48 -0700, Greg Pfeil wrote:
>> On 5 May 2006, at 8:58, Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll wrote:
>>
>>> + NIL is no longer used anywhere as method argument specializer. The
>>> change was a minor one, given previous fixes, and it has
>>> undergone some
>>> testing. Please report any problem.
>>
>> I'm using current CVS ECL and an old Moptilities-0.3 (can't update
>> until we have a working Closer to MOP).

>>      An error occurred during initialization:
>>      NIL is not a valid specializer in a method lambda list.
>
> This seems to be caused by ECL. However, after recent fixes NIL should
> never appear in the specialization list. Can you send me more detailed
> instructions to reproduce this?

Oh, it's not caused by ECL. I sent a followup a few minutes after the
original, but hit "Reply" instead of "Reply All" and just sent it to
myself :/ Here's what I wrote:

Nevermind ... I was being too literal in my searching. The problem is
caused by

(defgeneric mopu-reader-method-p (method)
   (:documentation "")
   (:method ((m #+Allegro   mop::standard-reader-method
                #+MCL       ccl:standard-reader-method
                #+Lispworks hcl::standard-reader-method
                #+SBCL      sb-pcl::standard-reader-method))
            (values t))
   (:method ((m t))
            (values nil)))

Since there is no alternative for #+ECL, the CDR of the specializer
is NIL, which is what causes the problem.