[Ecls-list] MSVC build errors for latest CVS

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Tue Mar 7 01:51:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 18:32 +1100, Dean O'Connor wrote:
> I am still having problems with the build from CVS.
> I tried this time *without* the "ECL_THREADS = 1". Makes no diff I think.
> I still require the attached 2 patches to get past the first 2 compile
> errors.

Ok. I have realized what the problem is. The MSVC build requireds three
empty directories msvc/c/ecl, msvc/ecl/gc and msvc/ecl/gc/private. Your
patches redirect ECL to other directories, namely msvc/ecl,
src/gc/include and src/gc/include/private, but this is not right. The
headers in those directories are not the ones that are required to build
the DLL.

As for the reason of the failure, I have realized that normally CVS does
not create these directories when they are empty. I have modified the
makefiles so as to ensure these directories are there by using simple
"mkdir" before building the program. This seems to solve the problem in
my machine.

> But then I get this error when it tries to compile using ecl_min.[...]
>
>  > (:WANTS-DEFSYSTEM :WANTS-RT :WANTS-CLX :WANTS-SOCKETS :WANTS-ASDF
> :WANTS-CMP :WANTS-DLOPEN :ECL-MIN :IEEE-FLOATING-POINT :DFFI :CLOS-
> STREAMS :CMU-FORMAT :MSVC :DLOPEN :CLOS :BOEHM-GC :ANSI-CL :COMMON-LISP
> :ECL :COMMON :PENTIUM4 :FFI)
>  > NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '.\ecl_min' : return code '0xc0000005'
> Stop.
> On my Gentoo linux box (located in different location),[...]
> I get a Segment Fault at the same point, when ecl_min is executed.

These are CLOS bootstrapping problems. ecl_min has no error handling
routine (at least not until the whole of bare.lsp is loaded) and thus
crashes. I think I have fixed them now in CVS.

Regards,