[Ecls-list] Fwd: ECL re-entrant?

Brad Beveridge brad.beveridge at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 19:36:06 UTC 2006

I accidentally posted to just Juan, not the whole list.  Sorry.

> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 10:05 -0700, Brad Beveridge wrote:
> > Hi all, is ECL re-entrant?  I suspect that it is not :)
> > I have a strange situation, the short story is:
> > ECL is embedded in Vim, and we have modified Vim to support callbacks
> > when data is present on a socket (file descriptor really).  If I make
> > ECL write data to an echo server, I manage to crash Vim and ECL.
>
> I will need some time to check this
>
> BTW, does this modified vim compile on OS X? It is my main development
> platform right now.
>
> Juanjo

Wow, I'm impressed that you are willing to take a look at this!  Yes,
the repos I mention do compile Vim under OS X (I use OS X Intel).  We
have moved to Vim7, so the Vim 6.4 repo there is probably deprecated.

Here are some comments that I posted to another list a while back
about how I compile Vim7
./configure --prefix=/opt/local --enable-eclinterp --disable-darwin

This will only build a console vim.  If you try to build a GUI vim,
then you will get a symbol conflict with "shadow", you can #define
shadow to something else before you #include "vim.h".  Send me an
email if you need help with this - I _think_ I got that working once.

You will NEED to make sure you compile with -O1.  O2 on Apple's GCC4
branch breaks Vim in weird ways.
I suspect that Vim7 is a little more OSX Intel friendly & you no
longer need to worry about -O1.

Thank you very much for wanting to look at this, I really didn't
expect help on this level.  I'm blown away!

Cheers
Brad