[Ecls-list] Printing to a string

David Creelman dave at geko.net.au
Sun Jan 15 21:01:02 UTC 2006

Hi Dean,

Thanks.

Yes, that works for me too, but I'm wanting to put the string from the
print up onto a GUI, not standard output. I thought
ecl_string_pointer_safe would do that (assuming that cl_print returns a
string..).

Any idea how I'd get the string back ?

Cheers
David

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 15:37 +1100, Dean O'Connor wrote:
> I tried your source in Windows MSVC (see below) and the cl_print works ok.
> ie. I see #(1 2 3) displayed on the screen.
>
> However, the ecl_string_pointer_safe line crashes for me.
>
> I guess the cl_print (in this case) will return a object of type vector
> (same as myarray).
>
> Not too sure what you are trying to do with ecl_string_pointer_safe, and
> I can't find any doco on it, but I don't think you need it if you just
> want to print an object to the screen.
> Just lose the last line I think ??
>
> The cl_print will print most/all objects to screen AFAIK.
>

> Cheers
> Dean.
>
> #include "ecl.h"
>
> int main(int argc, char* argv[])
> {
>    cl_boot(argc, argv);
>    cl_object myarray = c_string_to_object("#(1 2 3)");
>    cl_object cl_str = cl_print(1, myarray);
>    cl_object str = ecl_string_pointer_safe(cl_str);   // Crashes here
> for me :)
>
>     return 0;
> }
>
> David Creelman wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm wanting to generically print an atom, symbol, list, string, etc out
> >to a string that I can then display on the screen (a la REPL).
> >
> >I thought cl_print would do this for me, but ECL crashes when I call the
> >following:-
> >
> >	cl_object myarray = c_string_to_object("#(1 2 3)");
> >	cl_object cl_str = cl_print(1, myarray);	// This crashes.
> >	str = ecl_string_pointer_safe(cl_str);
> >
> >What am I doing wrong here ?
> >
> >Can this be done or should I be doing my own interpretation of types ?
> >
> >Regards
> >David

David Creelman
GPG: 11CC 0D54 D37A 4B9C 5C65  AB63 5B18 7F99 7D77 9CA5