[Ecls-list] Re: Problem with descendants of STANDARD-CLASS

Daniel Debertin airboss at nodewarrior.org
Mon Feb 13 10:55:04 UTC 2006

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <lisp at ...> writes:

> On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 05:57 +0000, Dan Debertin wrote:
> > It looks like classes using STANDARD-CLASS as the metaclass get a slot
> > called SLOT-INDEX-TABLE, but classes using other metaclasses, including
> > descendants of STANDARD-CLASS (in my case, MY-TEST), do not.
>
> This slot should be inherited by all subclasses of standard-class.

Okay, glad I was right in my assessment.

> > Is this a bug? Is anyone working on it, or should I dig into it?
>
> It would be nice if you found what is really happening.

Okay, I will find some time to fix it. But given what I've seen of
src/clos/*.lsp, it looks like even if I fix this one problem, use of MOP in
general is going to be a bit of a chore. At least right now.

> The problem with ECL is that it got a "castrated" version of CLOS which
> aimed for simplicity and easy bootstrapping.

Is ECL's CLOS a derivative of PCL? If not, would replacing it with an adaptation
of PCL be possible or desirable? Everybody else is using it....

Thanks for your response,

-Dan