[Ecls-list] Mac OS X intel port with optimized gmp

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Thu Aug 10 15:06:26 UTC 2006

Dear all,

The most recent release of ecl contains a port to mac os x intel
which uses an unoptimized version of the gmp library:

"This version adds one port: OSX on Intel/x86. The port uses the latest
version of the Boehm-Weiser garbage collector and an unoptimized version
of the GMP library (because the developers refuse to port the Intel/x86
assembler code to this platform)."

I have recently been able to build an optimized version of the gmp
library following the instructions listed here:

<http://www.swox.com/list-archives/gmp-discuss/2006-July/002430.html>

Which I duplicate below - modified slightly for the use of a gzip
rather than a bzip archive - using gmp-4.2.1.tar.gz found at:

<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gmp/gmp-4.2.1.tar.gz>

tar xzvf gmp-4.2.1.tar.bz2
cd gmp-4.2.1/mpn/x86
rm *dive_1* */*dive_1* */*/*dive_1*
rm */*mode1o* */*/*mode1o*
cd ../..
./configure --enable-cxx=yes --enable-shared --disable-static
make
make check

I was wondering if this assembler code optimized version if gmp could
be incorporated into the current version of ecl or if someone could
could detail to me the steps necessary to get the ecl build process
to use this optimized version instead of the unoptimized version
which is currently the default.

Thanks in advance,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.