[Ecls-list] Accessing C variables

Dean O'Connor dean.oconnor at ite.com.au
Wed Sep 14 01:36:42 UTC 2005

Bit long in coming, but thx alot Michael for your advice. Much appreciated.
I have made a fair bit of progress with things.
Still having a few issues, but here is an example of what worked for me.
If there is a better way, hit me with it :)

In my C++ app:

char *string_ptr = "hi there";
cl_object f_obj = ecl_make_foreign_data(make_simple_string("CSTRING"),
strlen(string_ptr), (void*)&string_ptr);
cl_set(c_string_to_object("TEST"), f_obj);

// then load and execute below script.

In Lisp (interpreted):

;; This is how I cld see the string "hi there".
(deref-pointer test :cstring)

To be honest, this WAS working, then I did something (?:) and now it
won't work (for now).
But when it was kicking over, I could create pointers to "int" or whatever.
The thing that threw me for a bit was that for c-strings, you had to
feed cl_make_foreign_data a pointer to the char pointer.

I was still having probs when I was testing some of the our bizard
variable/symbol names we need to use.
(i know it may seem wierd needing a symbol name like this :)
eg. "Trade->Party[0]->Name"

I could create and print these variables from the ecl prompt, but using
the above method in C++, these symbols did not seem to be created or
reference using deref-pointer.
Hopefully I will get to the bottom of it, but if anyone has any thoughts
on the matter, any assistance would be welcome.

Cheers
Dean.

Goffioul Michael wrote:

Indeed, regarding my last mail, you should use def-foreign-var to access
C variables instead of ECL-specific ecl_make_foreign_data.

Michael.

Goffioul Michael wrote:

You can have a look into the /contrib/win32/ directory of the ECL source
tree. Using FFI, there are LISP functions that manipulate Windows structure.

One way to pass a C object/structure to LISP is using the ecl_make_foreign_data
function.

Michael.

Original email: