[Ecls-list] Question about FPE underflow and PRINT.SHORT-FLOAT.RANDOM test

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Tue Oct 25 07:30:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 15:36 +0200, Goffioul Michael wrote:
> While running the ANSI tests suite, I noticed that the PRINT.SHORT-FLOAT.RANDOM
> test failed. When anaylizing this, it appears that the code execute something
> like (random least-positive-short-float), which can only produce a FPE_UNDERFLOW
> as the generated float will be smaller than least-positive-short-float and assigned
> to a short-float object. However, the test code only expects ARITHMETIC-ERROR.

floating-point-underflow/overflow are subclasses of arithmetic-error. If
they are not properly trapped, then there is something wrong going on
there. Perhaps the underflow occurs somewhere else, like in the C
library routines that print the small number? It might be the case that
we have to also must save/clear the FP flags in write_double.

Regards,