[Ecls-list] ASDF to build FAS libraries

Greg Pfeil pfeil at amazon.com
Wed Oct 19 12:27:07 UTC 2005

(Apologies for the self-reply)

On 10/19/05 10:22 AM, "Greg Pfeil" <pfeil at amazon.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/05 8:09 AM, "Goffioul Michael" <goffioul at imec.be> wrote:
>
>> I tried to play with ASDF in order to compile FAS libraries (I mean FAS
>> files containing several LISP files). To do that, I applied to attached
>> patch to asdf.lisp and defined a new build-op operation as the following:
>
> This seems really cool. Just a couple hours earlier I was wondering what the
> best way to do something similar was. Is it true that this could build
> shared libs just by changing c::build-fasl to c::build-shared-library?
> That's what I need to do.

To generalize a bit, it seems that this could accomplish four things very
easiy:

* FASLs, as you already have
* shared libs
* static libs
* standalone programs

Obviously, there could be four ops, BUILD-FASL-OP, BUILD-SHARED-LIBRARY-OP,
BUILD-STATIC-LIBRARY-OP and BUILD-PROGRAM-OP ... but is there any way to
have a single op handle all four of them (EG, by passing an additional
parameter to ASDF:OOS)? Maybe it's just as simple to keep the ops separate
*shrug*

>> Maybe this could be a nice addition to ECL asdf support. Isn't it?
>> (Note: I'm not an ASDF expert, I guess the code can be improved...)

It seems like a great idea to me.

Also, does this operation handle dependencies? IE, if the system I'm
compiling depends-on CL-PPCRE will it build that, too? Into the same
library?

I'm going to start playing with this to see if I can't get a shared library
made. Thanks, Michael!