[Ecls-list] Re: [cffi-devel] Callbacks in ECL

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Tue Oct 11 05:52:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 12:17 +0100, Luis Oliveira wrote:
> I plan to update cffi-ecl.lisp soon since it's the backend that is
> lacking the most features, the only reason I haven't yet is because ECL
> doesn't like some of the code in cffi-luis/types.lisp (which I plan to
> rewrite). I won't be able to until later this month though.

Ok. If you run into troubles with ECL, please contact us at the mailing
list.

> So, I read about the new SI::CALL-CFUN in ECL's mailing list, should we
> use that in CFFI's %foreign-funcall primitive? (Therefore in DEFCFUN
> too?)

Yes, essentially si::call-cfun implements what CFFI's %foreign-funcall
does. However, si::call-cfun can only handle a bunch of elementary
types: :char, :int, :pointer-void, etc. So, some translation of the type
names might be required. Eventually I can port some of CFFI's type names
to ECL if needed. The change is rather simple.

> Does that mean ECL's FFI:LOAD-FOREIGN-LIBRARY now supports non-constant
> arguments? (only if we use SI::CALL-CFUN I suppose).

Yes. But both si::call-cfun and the improved load-foreign-library only
work in x86-32bit right now. I will be working on the ppc and x86-64
ports in the coming months.

Regards,