[Ecls-list] License again (Was: Build cleanups...)

Julian Stecklina der_julian at web.de
Tue Mar 29 08:39:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:01:32 +0200
Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <jlr at mpq.mpg.de> wrote:

> Julian Stecklina wrote:
>
> >Autoconf and friends are black magic to me. ;) But I am just reading
> >the ECL license for the first time:
> >http://ecls.sourceforge.net/license.html
> >The upper part seems to be a BSD/MIT-style license, with the GPL
> >after "Additionally". This makes the license status unclear to me.
> >GPL would mean (to me, I am no lawyer) that my programs that link to
> >libecl.so must be distributed under the GPL as well. Am I mistaken?
> >
> The BSD license was there because of the Tcl/Tk component, which is no
>
> longer supported. It will be eventually removed. The LGPL is the
> actual  license of ECL.
>
> Notice that it is LGPL (Lesser GPL, Library GPL, or whatever people
> use  to call it). That means, GPL does not propagate to your programs,
> but  you should distribute binaries that can can be compiled against
> newer  versions of the library, together with the source code of any
> improvements you made on ECL to build your program.

Ah, I am stupid... Pointy-hat to me for overlooking _LGPL_ in the
repository...

We really need a FAQ or Wiki.

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

-- Common Lisp can do what C, C++, Java, PASCAL, PHP, Perl, (you --
-- name it) can do. Here's how:                                  --
-- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1590592395             --