[Ecls-list] Re: [slime-devel] Support for ECL

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Mon Mar 21 03:45:48 UTC 2005

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <lisp at arrakis.es> writes:

> Hi,

Hello Juan,

> my name is Juanjo Garcia-Ripoll and I am the current maintainer of a
> common-lisp implementation called ECL (http://ecls.sf.net). This is a
> portable environment based on a C backend that can use a C/C++
> compiler for compiling lisp code, and also contains a standalone
> bytecodes compiler and interpreter.
>
> In the last weeks there has been a lot of contributions to our project
> (FFI, a port of BSD sockets, better MOP compliance, Gray streams, etc)
> that have allowed me to produce a minimal port of Slime.

that's great to hear!

> The port is available at
>     http://ecls.sf.net/slime-patches.zip

This zip file contains only the loader and a patch to the loader.
Apparently both old versions.

> I would like to ask the developers of Slime to commit these patches
> and also, if possible, to give me CVS access for future improvements.

I didn't commit the patches because the current CVS version of the
loader looks quite different.

I asked the common-lisp.net admins to give you write permissions.  You
can then commit anything that's needed yourself.

There aren't to many fixed rules for SLIME developers, but a few hints
are written down in our HACKING file.  Basically we assume that people
are competent enough write good code.  If somebody sees a better way
to do something, he is encouraged to commit his ideas, and nobody
should be upset if some code gets rewritten.

I haven't tried the current version of ECL, but last time I did, it
had a few gaps, which made it difficult to compile the portable bits
of SLIME.  I hope these gaps are closed now and that we need
no #+ecl reader conditionals in swank.lisp.

Helmut.