[Ecls-list] C-STRINGs and lisp strings

dan at sof.ch dan at sof.ch
Tue Jun 28 08:46:05 UTC 2005

I agree that your change should work, but I don't really like it
because it's not easy to figure when a string will be copied and when
not and this will make the debugging of program really hard.

I don't understand why we do not simply put a NUL at
string.fillp. When string is a simple string, the fillp will anyway
index the char after the end of string.

When string has fillp, lisp seems to print it till the filp pointer
and this printable part is what I expect the C function will get, no
matter how long the string really is.

When we just put the NUL at the end of the (visible) string, the rule
will be very simple to understand and follows the rule of the least
estonishement: any string you feed in the FFI is suceptible to be
modified and this is exactly what any C programmer expects.

Sorry to disturb again... :)

--
Courage, fuyons...