[Ecls-list] Threads

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Fri Jun 24 01:11:00 UTC 2005

Maciek Pasternacki wrote:

>As far as I googled out there is no standard or even semi-standard
>multiprocessing semantics; is there anything we want to conform to, or
>do we just want to make it work good, and let rest of the world
>conform to our superior design? ;)

Hehe, I would be happy if ECL indeed was the leader in the field :-)

But no, there are other implementations out there, which try to conform
to the Lisp Machines multiprocessing capabilities. ECL's own routines
are a mixture of OpenMCL's, SBCL's and I seem to recall Franz's
interface. They all share the same semantics, IIRC, but they all copy on
the original LM whose manuals are in one of these "old stuff" museums in
internet (Google is your friend).

It would be nice, though, to have this all revised and documented, much
like OpenMCL's manual, which was a great help in developing ECL's
support for threads.

Regards,