[Ecls-list] ECL an Mac OS X

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll jlr at mpq.mpg.de
Fri Jun 10 01:03:39 UTC 2005

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll wrote:

> Pascal Costanza wrote:
>
>> Encouraged by the reports of ECL ports to Mac OS X, I have tried to
>> compile what's currently in the CVS on my machine. However, during
>> make I get the following error: [...]
>>
>> My setup is this: Mac OS X 10.4.1, XCode 2.1.
>> Any ideas? Are there required packages that may be missing?
>
> I tested ECL with OS X 10.3.6 and the XCode that came with it. I have
> since found out that there is an update to OS X Tiger in the box :-) I
> have installed it and updated to 10.4.1 afterwards and will see today
> if it still works.

I have updated both the operating system and the developer tools. The
problem seems to be the GCC compiler. It produces very strange code for
ECL and the version of GDB that is shipped with XCode cannot even cope
with it: I am debugging one function and it suddenly jumps to a
different one. That happens even without optimizations, i.e. "-O0". I
guess it is a too agressive compiler and it might break some implicit
assumptions in ECL.

In the mean time, you can build ECL using the older compiler which is
also shipped with XCode, that is GCC 3.3. This has also the advantage
that the same binary will work on OSX 10.3. The steps are easy, just
prepend "CC=gcc-3.3" to your invocation of "configure" as in

     CC=gcc-3.3 ./configure --prefix=$HOME

or use the gccselect utility shipped with OSX.

Please report any further problems you find.

Regards