[Ecls-list] Re: ECL and CLX

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Tue Aug 23 00:31:41 UTC 2005

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:57:03 +0200, <goffioul at imec.be> wrote:
> > I just tried with a fresh CVS update and I could run the CLX demos.
>
> The current CVS builds differently now than when I posted.
>
> > The important points are:
> > 1) (require 'sockets)
>
> Others have said that 'sockets are not required, only the
> 'tcp' in configure.

The --with-tcp configure flag enable building of tcp support into
a loadable module. However, you still need to load the module at
runtime to access the socket interface, just as you need to load
the CLX or ASDF modules at runtime to access them.

> > (require 'sockets)
> ;;; Warning: PRINT-OBJECT is being redefined.
> ;;; Warning: SHARED-INITIALIZE is being redefined.
> ;;; Warning: PRINT-OBJECT is being redefined.
> ;;; Warning: Redefining class INTERRUPTED-ERROR
> ;;; Warning: PRINT-OBJECT is being redefined.
> ("SOCKETS")
>
> I'm used to seeing NIL after an ASDF require in CMUCL.
>

> > 2) (require 'clx)
>
> > (require 'clx)
> ;;; Warning: PRINT-OBJECT is being redefined.
> ;;; Warning: TYPE-ERROR-DATUM is being redefined.
> ;;; Warning: TYPE-ERROR-EXPECTED-TYPE is being redefined.
> ;;; Warning: PRINT-OBJECT is being redefined.
> ;;; Warning: PRINT-OBJECT is being redefined.
> NIL
>

> > 3) make sure the display numbers match (clx-demos.lisp uses
> 10, while
> > hello.lisp uses the default one, 0).
>
> > (load "~/ecls/src/clx/demo/hello")
> #P"/usr/local/rcvs/ecls/src/clx/demo/hello.lisp"
> > (xlib::hello-world "localhost")
> The function SI::OPEN-CLIENT-STREAM is undefined.
> Broken at XLIB:OPEN-DISPLAY.
> The function SI::OPEN-CLIENT-STREAM is undefined.
> Broken at XLIB:OPEN-DISPLAY.
> The function SI::OPEN-CLIENT-STREAM is undefined.
> Broken at XLIB:OPEN-DISPLAY.
> The function SI::OPEN-CLIENT-STREAM is undefined.
> Broken at XLIB:OPEN-DISPLAY.

I think this is due to change in src/configure.in from 1.106 to 1.107
which removes the TCP variable definition. However, this is still
needed in some files like symbols_list.h (and mayeb at other places),
otherwise symbols like SI::OPEN-CLIENT-STREAM are not defined.

Maciek, do you confirm?

Michael.