[Ecls-list] ECL on L4

Julian Stecklina der_julian at web.de
Sat Aug 20 07:52:04 UTC 2005

Hello,

how much work would it take to get ECL cross-compiling for a non-POSIX
architecture? In specific, it would be nice if I could get CL programs
to execute as L4 tasks. (For more information on the L4 microkernel you
may visit the links on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L4_microkernel_family)

I guess one has to rewrite the garbage collector. A port of the boehm-
weiser gc to L4 exists, but I am not comfortable in using it, because I
plan to test different algorithms and optimizations. This seems
difficult in such a "grown" piece of software. ;) I have plans to
replace it with a simple copying generational garbage collector.

I would be glad for any thoughts regarding this.

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

(Of course SML does have its weaknesses, but by comparison, a
 discussion of C++'s strengths and flaws always sounds like an
 argument about whether one should face north or east when one
 is sacrificing one's goat to the rain god.)         -- Thant Tessman