[Ecls-list] ECL configuration options

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Fri Aug 12 01:12:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 07:49 +0000, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> I wonder if:
> > -------
> >  gcc -fPIC -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
> > -I/home/eric/ecl-0.9f/src/gmp/mpn -I..
> > -D__GMP_WITHIN_GMP -I/home/eric/ecl-0.9f/src/gmp
> > -DOPERATION_udiv_fp -g -O2 -Wa,-xarch=v8plus
> > -mcpu=ultrasparc tmp-udiv_fp.s -o udiv_fp.o
>
> the combo of -mcpu=ultrasparc and -Wa,-xarch=v8plus isn't a bad
> combo
> It might be better if one was going to use -mcpu=ultra to use
> -Wa,-xarch=v9 instead.

The problem is that these flags are _required_ by the GMP library to
compile. ECL's configuration process in Solaris does the following

1) Run GMP's autoconfiguration program.
2) Grab the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS out of the resulting configuration file.
3) Configure ECL, GMP and Boehm-Weiser
4) Build and link everything.

This protocol is designed to ensure that both ECL and GMP compile and
link with the same flags. It may not be the optimal, but any other
possibility requires a knowledge of all compiler/linker arguments that I
lack at the moment.

I will be pleased to include any alternative to the current hack.

Regards,