[Ecls-list] Using Femlisp with ECL / Bug reports

Nicolas Neuss Nicolas.Neuss at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Aug 10 14:23:59 UTC 2005

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <lisp at arrakis.es> writes:

> On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 20:40 +0200, Nicolas Neuss wrote:
>> Let's start with this.  Put the following in a file and do (load
>> (compile-file ...)), [C-k] from slime.  Results for me in an error that the
>> device "femlisp:" is not known. [...]
>
> Please do not take me as a lazy guy, but could you rather supply an http
> address where I can download the package that causes the error? I mean
> something I can just unpack and load.

Femlisp is available at www.femlisp.org, but my corrections for ECL have
not yet been incorporated.  Hmm, maybe the above was a false alarm, because
at the moment Femlisp starts up just fine from SLIME/ECL (but compilation
breaks later on).  Therefore, I would suggest to postpone this issue.

If you agree I would suggest that we continue in the following way: I will
report always the next problem (ECL or Femlisp bug), trying to distill out
a small test case.  Then you can comment on it, showing that I deviate from
the standard or providing a fix or suggesting a work around.  I think that
the work is best partitioned in this way.

At the moment, this next problem lies with constructs like the following:

(DEFMETHOD GEMM (ALPHA X Y BETA Z)
  (MACROLET ((WITH-BLAS-DATA (MATRICES &REST BODY)
               `(MACROLET ()
                   , at BODY)))
    (WITH-BLAS-DATA (Z Y X)
      (DECLARE (OPTIMIZE SPEED))
      Z)))

--> The function WALKER::WALK-UNEXPECTED-DECLARE is undefined.

As much as I understand the spec, declare should be allowed in this
position.

Yours, Nicolas.

P.S.: These snippets might be nice contributions to Paul Dietz' ANSI test
suite.  Paul, are you reading this?