[Ecls-list] Using Femlisp with ECL / Bug reports

Nicolas Neuss Nicolas.Neuss at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Aug 4 10:30:03 UTC 2005

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <lisp at arrakis.es> writes:

> You need TCP sockets for slime to work. Configure ECL with the flag
> --with-tcp and rebuild it.

Now it does not start up any more:

$ ecl

Unrecoverable error:
Lisp initialization error.

Aborted

> Fixed in CVS. My latest commit to fix translation problems when :VERSION
> = :WILD was a total disaster born out of the lack of sleep.

Are CVS changes immediately visible to others?  I probably did not get them
yet, because the problem still remains.

> I am looking now into the output of the compiler. Most likely, the array
> operations are not being inlined. However, I would never implement these
> operations in lisp itself, but rather link against an optimized BLAS
> library. I do that even when programming in C/C++.

OK, but at some points I have to do other FP operations than BLAS.  If an
implementation fails to optimize those simple loops, it will probably fail
also for the more complicated cases.  Furthermore, having those routines in
Lisp adds quite some portability, because FFI is not standardized.

> Regards,
>
> Juanjo

Thanks you,
Nicolas.