[Ecls-list] Re: Startup time

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Wed Aug 3 04:30:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 13:14 +0200, Maciek Pasternacki wrote:
> Thanks.  One more question: why isn't sysfun.lsp compiled into cmp.fas
> but distributed as interpreted Lisp?

Because it takes way less memory. Currently, data which is generated in
a compiled module is _never_ garbage collected unless the associated
module is.

Actually, at some point I even considered distributing the whole of the
compiler as source code. I never found a machine where the interpreted
compiler was too slow, this would provide compilation even when ECL is
statically linked, and it would be much easier to debug this component.

This reminds me, that at some point I also found it a neat idea to
distribute source code in ZIP files and make this a new loadable format
for ECL.

Regards,