[Ecls-list] License question

Julian Stecklina der_julian at web.de
Mon Apr 25 06:27:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:54:04 +0200
"Goffioul Michael" <goffioul at imec.be> wrote:

> I know ECL is under LGPL and that I can distribute LISP code in binary
> format, even linked against ECL library. My current (internal) use of
> ECL is to build ECL into a static lib and use this lib to build a MEX
> file for MATLAB such that ECL is embedded into that MEX file (easier
> for me as I only have to distribute a single DLL). Is this static
> embedding allowed by LGPL?

  6. As an exception to the Sections above, you may also combine or
link a "work that uses the Library" with the Library to produce a
work containing portions of the Library, and distribute that work
under terms of your choice [...]

[You have to include the LPGL license text and display any copyright
notices.] Also, you must do one of these things:

    a) Accompany the work with the complete corresponding
    machine-readable source code for the Library including whatever
    changes were used in the work (which must be distributed under
    Sections 1 and 2 above); and, if the work is an executable linked
    with the Library, with the complete machine-readable "work that
    uses the Library", as object code and/or source code, so that the
    user can modify the Library and then relink to produce a modified
    executable containing the modified Library.  (It is understood
    that the user who changes the contents of definitions files in the
    Library will not necessarily be able to recompile the application
    to use the modified definitions.)

    b) Use a suitable shared library mechanism for linking with the
    Library.  A suitable mechanism is one that (1) uses at run time a
    copy of the library already present on the user's computer system,
    rather than copying library functions into the executable, and (2)
    will operate properly with a modified version of the library, if
    the user installs one, as long as the modified version is
    interface-compatible with the version that the work was made with.

    c) Accompany the work with a written offer, valid for at
    least three years, to give the same user the materials
    specified in Subsection 6a, above, for a charge no more
    than the cost of performing this distribution.

    d) If distribution of the work is made by offering access to copy
    from a designated place, offer equivalent access to copy the above
    specified materials from the same place.

    e) Verify that the user has already received a copy of these
    materials or that you have already sent this user a copy.

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: "Any sufficiently complicated C
or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified bug-ridden
slow implementation of half of Common Lisp."