[Ecls-list] Important changes (+FFI) finally comitted

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Wed Nov 24 08:23:57 UTC 2004

> > * Goffioul Michael has contributed code that fixes and
> > completes ECL's
> > FFI including support for C structures and C/C++ variables,
> > among other
> > things. As some of you might remember, ECL implements its
> own port of
> > the UFFI specification. I have attached to this message a file with
> > examples from the UFFI that now compile and run under ECL.
> > Thanks Michael!!!
>
> You're welcome. Although I'd like to point out that the current
> FFI support is not complete, finished and stable. One of the main
> conceptual problem I'm facing is how to interpret FFI types in
> the form '(* typename). When trying to run actual UFFI examples,
> I turned into problems.
[snip]

For your information. I fixed most of the problems I described in
my previous post (I worked around the foreign size problem by
manually recasting the foreign data to an appropriate size: for
example if I want to deref-array at position 10, I recast the
array to an array of size 11).
I'm now able to run many of the tests/examples of UFFI. The main
problem remaining is about load-foreign-library: as FFI support is
based on a pre-compilation step, this macro simply changes the
compilation flags, but the side-effect is that the form *must* be
a top-level form. A better workaround should be found.

I cannot provide a patch currently, the CVS on SF is still down.

Michael.