[Ecls-list] Important changes (+FFI) finally comitted

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Tue Nov 23 08:03:05 UTC 2004

Dear all,

finally I have managed to find some time to upload several important fixes:

* Relative symlinks are now followed by TRUENAME. This means you can now
do "ln -sf ../tmp/faa foo" and (truename "foo") should return the right
value.

* The value of *READTABLE* is now honored both by LOAD and by the top
level reader.

* The mingw32 port now uses the same mechanisms as the MSVC++ port to
find the location of the executable, header and libraries.

* In all platforms, a new logical hostname "TMP:" points to a directory
where temporary files should go. Environment variables TMPDIR, TEMP and
TMP are used to find this directory which should have executable
permisions if you want to compile FAS files.

* Goffioul Michael has contributed code that fixes and completes ECL's
FFI including support for C structures and C/C++ variables, among other
things. As some of you might remember, ECL implements its own port of
the UFFI specification. I have attached to this message a file with
examples from the UFFI that now compile and run under ECL. Thanks Michael!!!

As a side note, it would be nice if people using the FFI gave us some
feedback on the usability and on problems that might arise when using
it. Before you jump on me, it is still not possible to specify
dynamically linked libraries using the FFI, but this can be easilly
worked around.

Best regards,