[Ecls-list] How to get ASDF working?

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Wed Nov 17 00:51:08 UTC 2004

R. Mattes wrote:

>Hello list,
>
>i just checked out CVS ecl and compiled it with
>activated  '--with-cmuformat  --with-clos-streams --with-cxx'
>configure options. The program builds fine, but how would
>i use ASDF? I loaded the asdf files manually and added my
>asdf system directory (using Debian's /usr/share/common-lisp/systems/
>directory) to the asdf:*central-registry* but when i try to load
>any system i get the following error:[...]
>
>>(asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :md5)
>>

>Filesystem error with pathname #P"/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/md5.asd".
>Either the file cannot be accessed or the pathname is not a valid one.
>Broken at PROBE-FILE.
>

>Indeed PROBE-FILE fails on "/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/md5.asd" --
>can't ecl handle links?

ECL can handle links (see below), but it will try to resolve the true
name of the file while probing it. If the destination file does not
exist, PROBE-FILE will fail. Are you sure also that the permisions are
right in all directories? Could you please execute the following two
pieces of code:

(si::file-kind "/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/md5.asd" t)
(truename "/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/md5.asd")

They should help track where the real problem is.

Juanjo

-----------

jlr at home:~> ls -l tmp
total 0
jlr at home:~> touch tmp/faa
jlr at home:~> ln -sf tmp foo
jlr at home:~> ls -l foo/faa
-rw-r--r--    1 jlr      users           0 2004-11-17 09:41 foo/faa
jlr at home:~> ecl
ECL (Embeddable Common-Lisp) 0.9d
[...]
 > (probe-file "foo/faa")