[Ecls-list] struct problem

Michael O'Connor moconnor59 at yahoo.com
Tue May 18 09:20:05 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can explain why I'm getting extra
whitespace in a struct I'm modifying. Here's a
simplified example:

(defstruct test
    long-variable-name-1
    long-variable-name-2
    )
(setf test-data (make-test))

(setf (test-long-variable-name-1 test-data) "a")
(setf (test-long-variable-name-2 test-data) (cons
123.00 "d"))
(format t "~A~%" test-data)

This prints:
#S(TEST LONG-VARIABLE-NAME-1 "a" LONG-VARIABLE-NAME-2
(123.0

                           . "d"))

The problem seems to be related to the length of the
struct member names and the data it includes (I
think), and might be just an output formatting problem
were it not for the fact that the more I modify the
struct (by calling setf as in the example) the more
whitespace it ends up containing, until soon the
program stops (out of memory?).

Any clues as to what's going on here, and what I can
do about it?

Thanks,

Michael