[Ecls-list] Pretty printer

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll jlr at mpq.mpg.de
Wed May 12 02:25:15 UTC 2004

Julian Stecklina wrote:

>Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <jlr at mpq.mpg.de> writes:
>
>>I am now making the last steps towards integrating a real
>>pretty-printer and the whole of CMUCL's format into ECL
>>

>Yay! :) This means we have ASDF working unpatched, Real Soon Now.

The changes have been comitted today to CVS. While I do some useful
stuff, the Compiler Farm is building ECL, which seems to pass Paul
Dietz's test suite with just as many errors as it used to.

Summary of changes:

* CMUCL's PRETTY-PRINTER and FORMAT have been integrated into ECL.

* ECL still defaults to the old KCL pretty printing stack and
implementation of format, and the new, more powerful but also bigger
library has to be explicitely selected at configuration time, with the
option "--with-cmu-format". Right now, --with-cmu-format implies
--with-clos-streams.

* The ECL printer has been rewritten and much simplified. Now, the
behavior of the printer is governed by the special variables
*print-length*, *print-level*, etc, which are consulted every time a new
object is to be printed. There is no longer need for the routine
cl_setup_printer(), and writing an object to a stream can be done with
the new routine si_write_object(object,stream).

* DEFSTRUCT now produces a slimmer output, as most of the work is done
by an auxiliary function. This makes compiled files smaller.

* Several critical fixes in the interpreter and in the compiler.

Regards,

Max-Planck-Institut fuer Quantenoptik	+49/(0)89/32905-345
Hans-Kopfermann-Str. 1, D-85748		www.mpq.mpg.de/Theorygroup/CIRAC/
Garching b. Muenchen, Germany		Juan.Ripoll at mpq.mpg.de