[Ecls-list] Newbie question

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Mon Dec 20 02:12:04 UTC 2004

Goffioul Michael wrote:

>>Well, there are two tricks you can try. One is to garbage collect the
>>library you created. If you confine your functions to a single package and then unbind all of them, that should be enough. If this does not work, please send me a copy of the smallest file for which
>>that does not happen.
>>
>>The other possibility is to produce output fasl files with different
>>names. You can get this by supplying yourself a :output-file
>>parameter to the compile-file function:
>>

>Wouldn't it be possible to provide some kind of "reload" mechanism
>for binary file loading?

There is a simpler trick that might work better which is, during LOAD,
copyin the FASL file to a temporary directory with a strange name and
only then loading it. This tricks the dlopen() routine and allows you to
load the same file several times or to overwrite a FASL with a newer
version (stupid dlopen() does not check the timestamp of a DLL to see if
it has been replaced with a binary incompatible version -- it just works
by checking file names!)