[Ecls-list] Methods with no arguments

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Mon Dec 6 02:12:18 UTC 2004

Julian Stecklina wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I tried to fix ECL in regard to methods with no arguments. The patch is
>attached. I am unsure whether this breaks something else, but at least ECL now
>loads swank-backend.lisp and swank.lisp from SLIME.

Thanks for the patch. I have committed a different version of it, which
detects the absence of a lambda list and does not use LOOP (currently,
the compiler is not so smart as to produce good code for the LOOP forms).

>Btw, I noticed:
>
>>defmethod foo (x) 1)
>>

>#<a STANDARD-METHOD>
>Top level.
>

>>(defmethod foo (x y) 2)
>>

>NIL is not of type CONS.
>Broken at CLOS::INSTALL-METHOD.
>
>My understanding of the code in clos/kernel.lsp is too limited to fix this. :-/

Well, I think the second form provides a lambda list (x y) with two
required arguments, which is not compatible with the first one. The
problem is that INSTALL-METHOD failed to detect this. I have fixed this
also.