[Ecls-list] merge with gcl

worm worm at arrakis.es
Sat Nov 29 17:21:07 UTC 2003

Remitente: "Julian St." <der_julian at web.de>
Fecha: Sabado, Noviembre 29, 2003 4:17 pm
Asunto: Re: [Ecls-list] merge with gcl

> I think Juan would not refuse any help. ;) But in my opinion ECL
> aims to
> be truly embeddable, I do not know if that conflicts with GCL aims,

That would never be a problem. The embeddability stuff is just a
feature (and one which I love). But ECL also works as a fully
functional Common-Lisp implementation, which proves that both aims are
not contradictory. What becomes difficult to maintain, though, is
GCL's unexec() feature.

> besides that the code bases were separated about 10 years ago
> (correct me!).

The dates are not sure to me. There was some feedback from GCL
regarding things like garbage collection, but yes, even though I can
read the GCL source tree easily, the way of coding in both systems is
rather different. ECL uses more the C calling convention.

To those who read these messages, please forgive the sad look of them.
It is late and we are too close to Xmas.