[Ecls-list] FreeBSD port

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll worm at arrakis.es
Tue Nov 4 08:29:09 UTC 2003

On Monday 03 November 2003 21:07, Julian St. wrote:
> I would like to add ECL to the FreeBSD ports tree at the next release.
> For that to work ECL should compile out-of-the-box with libgmp and libgc
> from the ports tree. Lisp support on FreeBSD is growing and I think
> this would attract some experienced people.

Thanks for your effort. I am a great fan of *BSD. In Spain my main box was a
NetBSD, and afterwards I used a FreeBSD. I only stopped using FreeBSD because
at work we require AFS.

> The following issues stand in the way:
>
> I. GMP
> env LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib' ./configure --enable-local-gmp
> "gcc -shared -o libecl.so -L/usr/home/blitz/src/ecls/build/ c/main.o
> libecl.a -lgc -lgmp --no-undefined  -lgmp  -lm"/usr/bin/ld: cannot find
> -lgmp LAMBDA: Too many arguments to function CONTINUE.

This is a bug. The LDFLAGS you passed are not being used.

> II. Garbage Collector
> env CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" ./configure --enable-local-boehm
> gmake
> gcc -c -I../h -I/usr/home/blitz/src/ecls/src/c
> -I/usr/home/blitz/src/ecls/src/h  -I/usr/local/include -Dfreebsd -fPIC
> -fstrict-aliasing -o alloc_2.o
> alloc_2.c/usr/home/blitz/src/ecls/src/c/alloc_2.d:18:29:
> private/gc_priv.h: No such file or directory
> Unfortunately this header file does not get installed by the
> boehm-weiser garbage collector.

ECL does need some magic from the garbage collector: it needs to deactivate
scanning of shared libraries, it does not use multithreaded mode, it does
need to interfere with the finding of roots... Since one barely wins 76k by
sharing the Boehm-Weiser garbage collector, and it would be risky to assume
that the local version and the installed one have compatible headers, I
recommend you removing --enable-local-boehm. Nobody will notice the
difference because the code will be embedded in libecl.so and the
corresponding headers will be in ${prefix}/ecl/h.

Regards