[Ecls-list] ECL cross-compilation

Eugene Zaikonnikov viking at funcall.org
Tue Jul 22 04:27:07 UTC 2003

Hello,

I am trying to port ECL to Agenda VR3. It runs Linux 2.4.0, XFree86
4.0 and has 8M RAM + 16M flash storage. The issue is complicated by
the fact that I am a total newbie in ECL and cross-compilation :)

Currently I stuck at configure phase. My first attempt was

./configure --host=mipsel

but configuration process fails when it comes to performing some C
run-time tests (stack growth direction, parameters from the machine
description file, EOL characters etc.). Finally, I get 'configuration
complete' message, alas, no makefile is actually generated.

A quick glance into src/configure gives an impression that it was made
with cross-compilation support in mind; however certain tests exit the
process if attempted during cross compiling. What is the best way to
deal with them? Shall I just replace these tests with respective fixed
values?

Another issue is runtime/executable size. Stripped binary of freshly
built ECL-0.9 on x86 box is about 900K, and it occupies around 4 megs
after launch. However, in PDA environment the less is the better. Is
there a way to make binary/runtime size even smaller? What can be
tweaked/removed? I am willing to compromise GC efficiency, additional
features, etc. for that.

--
  Eugene