[Ecls-list] build-program documentation problems

Jeff Bowden jlb at houseofdistraction.com
Sun Dec 16 11:28:02 UTC 2001

I recently fiddled around with trying to build a standalone executable
with ecl and I discovered that the documentation
(http://ecls.sourceforge.net/ecldev.html#Building%20programs) is
slightly wrong.

"Example of a standalone program" is a missing colon in the line

*            (c:build-program "myecl" :lisp-files '("hello.o"))*

That was easy enough to overcome but it's strictly a cookbook example
with no real explanation of what's going on.  I would not mind writing a
more descriptive example but I am not sure if it's worthwhile given that
this process does not seem to be very robust (e.g. you can't have it
generate an executable called "hello" for some reason.  Also, the
function build-program doesn't autoload the cmp module and so doesn't
even seem to exist until after compile-file has been run once).  Perhaps
my efforts would be better spent trying to make things less fragile and
then documenting the result.