[drakma-devel] SOCKS5 proxy support

Red Daly reddaly at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 23:29:44 UTC 2010

I have modified Drakma to use a SOCKS5 proxy if desired.  Before I
submit a patch I'd like to know what is the preferred interface for
this:

1.  Modify http-request with a SOCKS-PROXY option analogous to the
PROXY option.  Introduce SOCKS5 protocol code  (about 200 lines) into
hunchentoot and rely on no external libraries

2.  Modify http-request with a SOCKS-PROXY option analogous to the
PROXY option.  Introduce a dependency on an external SOCKS5 library.

3.  Modify Drakma in some way that allows a user to establish a
socks-proxy connection without explicitly supporting this in Drakma
itself.

The implementation requires that instead of establishing a socket
connection to HOST/PORT, the socket connects to SOCKS-HOST/SOCKS-PORT
instead and then sets up the socket to forward to HOST/PORT.

The implementation is available here:
http://github.com/gonzojive/drakma/tree/socks

socks5 spec: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1928.html

Red