[drakma-devel] eof error

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Thu Apr 3 23:14:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 00:33:02 +0200, Frank Schorr <franks-muc at web.de> wrote:

> The eofs occur at random.

Errors that occur in multi-threaded programs often seem to be random
although they actually aren't... :)

> Do you believe the server could generate the error ?

Depends on how the server is implemented.  /Maybe/ it somehow can't
cope with lots of simultaneous requests.  But if it's a public server
used by many other people, this is very unlikely.

> Wouldn't drakma handle it then ?

If it's really an EOF, then there's no way to handle it, of course.

> May be this is a way to kick out a robot ? (They are using captchas
> at some places (which are not accessed by me)).

That'd be a /very/ strange way of doing it.  I don't think so.

> I'm also not aware of using destructive operations...

Do you use global variables?  What about the cookies, for example?
(Not that I'd have an idea why this should result in an apparent EOF,
but hey...)

Another way of debugging this would be to try from another Lisp and/or
another OS.  There's always a chance that what you're seeing is a bug
in your Lisp.  Or, OMG, a bug in Drakma....

(And I seem to remember there's some limit on simultaneous outgoing
connections on never versions of Windows.  But, again, that shouldn't
result in EOFs.)