[drakma-devel] HTTPS via Proxy Server

Kevin Crosbie kcrosbie at ravenpack.com
Wed Nov 7 18:39:15 UTC 2007

Hi,

I was wondering how Drakma supports talking to a proxy server when using
HTTPS connections.
AllegroServe seems to make a HTTP connection to the proxy server then if
the proxy server supports SSL Forwarding (For Apache, say, the conf file
will read: SSLProxyEngine On) then the proxy server will make your HTTPS
connection for you.   This however seems to fail when SSLProxyEngine is
not set to On.

I've seen using WireShark that modern browsers implement a different
protocol for making SSL connections via Proxy Servers...
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2817.txt
Possibly: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2818.txt
It seems that they first send a CONNECT request, asking for the
connection to be upgraded to TLS.   From then on they negotiate the
connection via a tunnel directly to the destination server.

So my questions are:
1. Does Drakma support this
2. Does anybody know of any Lisp HTTP Client that does?
3. Does anybody have any suggestions about how to go about doing this?
For instance, I could use a Java or C library that supports this and
make native calls or I could extend whatever HTTP Client I choose to
support this.

Best Regards,

Kevin Crosbie
Ravenpack International S.L.